ASN Injury Report
Fabian Keeps Playing While Alejandro Is Still Ailing
October 23, 2015
- Borussia Monchengladbach has now played two games since the U.S. national team’s 3-2 loss to Mexico and Fabian Johnson has played every minute of both. Going into the weekend Johnson was deemed “questionable” by interim manager Andre Schubert because of the thigh issue that saw him subbed out of the CONCACAF Cup. Despite this, the midfielder went the distance in Gladbach’s 5-1 win over Eintracht Frankfurt on Saturday, as Klinsmann expected. The only American currently playing in the Champions League then played out the 0-0 draw with Italian champions Juventus on Wednesday. Needless to say it was a quick turn around and Johnson’s role in the upcoming World Cup qualifiers seems like the next big question Klinsmann will have to answer.
- Eintracht Frankfurt’s Timothy Chandler came on as a substitute in the 52nd of Saturday’s Bundesliga match. Chandler was previously sidelined for close to a month after undergoing surgery on his meniscus.
- Rubio Rubin underwent surgery on Wednesday to treat a stress fracture in his foot. The forward was set to undergo the surgery this week and is looking at a return to the field after the winter break.
- Alejandro Bedoya is still struggling to find full fitness after the virus that ruled him out of the Mexico match. Despite returning to training at Nantes during the week, the midfielder was not included in the squad that faced Caen on Friday.
- Greg Garza Tweeted an update on his recovery last week:
Second surgery went great. Can't wait to be back on the field again. God is great! / Segunda cirugía salió perfecta. Listo por regresar!— Gregory Garza (@gmgarza24) October 14, 2015
The 24-year-old’s loan spell at Atlas was marred with an injury to his right hip. He faces up to five months out.
- Kellyn Acosta has missed FC Dallas’s last two games due to a groin injury and it seems like he may be held out of the match against the San Jose Earthquakes. “He’s doing very well, but I think the way that things are going right now or the way things went last week, we could pace him a little bit more and then wait,” Dallas coach Oscar Pareja told Dallas Soccer News. “So this week is looking very good and we’ll see at the end of the week what we come up with, but he’s coming along. [Resting him this weekend] is in the back of my mind, yeah.”
- John Anthony Brooks dressed for Hertha Berlin’s trip to Schalke and was subbed in for the final minutes of the match. The central defender's most recent knock was a swollen ankle.
- Michael Bradley returned from a mild groin issue to play the full 90 of Toronto FC’s 2-0 oss against the Columbus Crew on Saturday.
- Chad Marshall’s neck injury is behind him now and he started in the Seattle Sounder’s 1-1 draw against the Houston Dynamo. A win in Seattle’s decision day match against Real Salt Lake will guarantee the team a playoff berth.
- Despite playing with a hamstring injury, Columbus Crew striker Jack McInerney should be available to help his team try and secure a strong playoff ranking against D.C. United, coach Gregg Berhalter said on Wednesday. The Crew will be without its two most potent attacking options, Kei Kamara and Federico Higauin, who are both out due to yellow card accumulation.
Nick Kariuki writes both the ASN Injury Report and the MLS Roundup every week. Follow him on Twitter.