Morning update: Richards shines, Martinez on the move, Colombia's roster, and more
January 19, 2023
THE WEEK HAS ALREADY hit Thursday, and the news has been trickling in from U.S. Soccer, MLS, and Americans abroad. It will be a busy day ahead for us here at ASN as we have a couple of interviews with players and news to report. But let’s start with a morning update (which ASN is going to try to do more regularly).
- The United States U-20 roster is expected to be released today at 10am. As noted, head coach Mikey Varas will not be with the team as he is an assistant coach with the USMNT for January camp.
- Speaking of the U.S. national team, one of its opponents this month will be Colombia in Carson California on January 28. Colombia has released its roster for the game. There are a number of MLS players on their team including Andres Reyes from the Red Bulls, Cristian Arango from LAFC, Dylan Borrero from the New England Revolution, Cucho Hernandez from the Columbus Crew, Juan Mosquera from the Portland Timbers, Santiago Moreno from the Portland Timbers.
???? Convocatoria Selección Colombia de Mayores— Selección Colombia (@FCFSeleccionCol) January 18, 2023
Ellos son los elegidos por Néstor Lorenzo para disputar el partido amistoso ???? ???????? el próximo 28 de enero.
???? https://t.co/hFONangM4k#TodosSomosColombia ???????? pic.twitter.com/2AD0YUqm0m
- One player not on Colombia’s roster is Jhon Duran who recently was sold by the Chicago Fire to Aston Villa for $18 million. Duran was one of the top young players in MLS in 2022 and was clearly a unique talent. Between Gaga Slonina and Duran, the Chicago Fire have made a fortune this offseason.
- Maximo Carrizo started for NYCFC on Wednesday in a 1-0 preseason loss to Minnesota United. The Uruguayan-American is just 14 years old and is one of the top academy players in the league.
Maximo Carrizo is starting for NYCFC in today’s preseason game… 14 years old— Brian Sciaretta (@BrianSciaretta) January 18, 2023
- Chris Richards made a surprising start for Crystal Palace and did very well in a 1-1 Premier League draw against Manchester United. Injuries have hampered him most of 2022 for both Hoffenheim and then when he was transferred to Crystal Palace. He got the start because the normal starting central defender James Tomkins was not feeling 100% well, but the U.S. international took advantage and was one of Palace’s best players of the day. It was most notable in his ability to handle Manchester United’s Brazilian attacker Antony, who he shut down.
????????#CPFC | #CRYMUN pic.twitter.com/2TgBxGuO3j— Crystal Palace F.C. (@CPFC) January 18, 2023
- In the Italian Super Cup, Sergino Dest played the final 11 minutes as Inter Milan trounced AC Milan 3-0. All the goals had already been scored by the time he entered the game. Dest will remain an interesting player to watch because AC Milan will have to make a decision whether to exercise its option to buy Dest, who is on loan from Barcelona. Based on his playing time, Milian might pass.
- The big story in MLS on Wednesday is that Inter Miami’s long-awaited signing of Josef Martinez became complete. It’s a shame that he couldn’t finish his career in Atlanta. He was critical of the team in 2022 but at times, he seemed like the person who cared most for Atlanta. This will continue to help Inter Miami’s growth as most of the teams in the Eastern Conference have improved.
An icon. A legend. Forever a 5-Stripe.— Atlanta United FC (@ATLUTD) January 18, 2023
You loved Atlanta and Atlanta loved you right back. Thank you for all the memories, Josef ?????? pic.twitter.com/70rYoqcKkt
- One of the players on the U.S. national team roster, Paxton Pomykal, signed a long-term extension with FC Dallas through 2026, and an option for 2027. That doesn’t mean he won’t be sold, eventually. MLS teams now sign players ahead of potential sales. But Pomykal needs to put more distance between himself and the injuries which plagued his career in 2019-2021. Last season was the first time he showed consistency at a high level without any injuries.
- Leeds United enjoyed a rare comfortable win with a 5-2 trouncing over Cardiff City. Tyler Adams played the first half and he was replaced by Brenden Aaronson who played the second half.
- Yunus Musah started and played 64 minutes in a 4-0 away win over Sporting Gijon in the Copa del Rey.
- There was little to report in Scotland. Cameron Carter-Vickers was given the day off as Celtic trounced St. Mirren 4-0. James Sands (entered in the 83rd minute) and Malik Tillman (entered in the 78th minute) were late subs for Rangers in a 3-2 win over Kilmarnock.
- Aberdeen have said Christian Ramirez is close to leaving the club and returning to the United States. Most reports have him linked to the Columbus Crew.