ASN Morning Read: Down Goes Ghana, Again
The United States men's national team defeats the Black Stars in a pre-Gold Cup friendly; The midfield gets a tremendous amount of praise, much of it deserved; The Dom Dwyer Show begins
BY Noah Davis Posted
July 05, 2017
July 05, 2017
- "After a second viewing, the U.S. performance looks even better than it did in real time. For a team with many players new to the international stage, Bruce Arena's squad played with hunger and was always looking to make dangerous plays. Bottom line: The Yanks were fun to watch."
- "Early returns can sometimes be misleading, but the U.S. national team is certainly hoping that is not the case with regards to its central midfielders.Readying for the CONCACAF Gold Cup, the U.S. used a new trio in the middle of the field in a 2-1 friendly win over Ghana at Pratt & Whitney Stadium on Saturday. Dax McCarty and Kellyn Acosta were deployed behind playmaker Joe Corona in a 4-2-3-1 setup, and the three of them formed a cohesive unit that proved hard to play against."
- More on the theme: "Dax McCarty reprised his efficient play for the Chicago Fire as the primary shield in front of the backline: according to ESPN Stats & Information, he misplaced just three passes in 65 attempts on the day. Kellyn Acosta got stronger as the game went on, finding his passing range more consistently in the second half and scoring a beauty of a free kick that proved to be the difference in the game.Joe Corona made a hugely successful return to the national team in his first U.S. game in nearly two years. Corona has long had an astute sense of risk management in terms of when to force the issue and when to reset the attack if nothing is on. That was on display against Ghana as he twice created good chances for Dwyer."
- Emphatic Strike Lifts Dwyer Into Forward Conversation
- Rank 'em.
- Here are eight goals Bruce Arena's side should look to accomplish during the tournament.
- A lot of positivity on this chart: How is Bruce Arena doing as U.S. coach?
- Who whould you start against Panama on Saturday? Tell us.