ASN Morning Read: A New Best in MLS?
Mexican international Carlos Vela signs with Los Angeles United, giving the club that does not exist one more player to add to its roster; Bob Bradley and Vela against the world.
BY Noah Davis Posted
August 09, 2017
August 09, 2017
- "Los Angeles Football Club is still seven months from its Major League Soccer debut, but the franchise laid the cornerstone of its foundation Tuesday when it agreed to contract terms with Mexican national team forward Carlos Vela.Vela, 28, has played the last six seasons for Real Sociedad of Spain’s La Liga, scoring 65 goals in 204 games. He has 17 goals in 58 games with the national team, the most recent coming in June’s World Cup qualifier against the U.S."
- "What will LAFC and MLS get? Potentially the league's best player. That might seem an exaggeration, keeping the likes of David Villa and Sebastian Giovinco in mind, but Vela can and should be looking to overtake them....Vela seems to have matured of late, is now a father and is more relaxed around the Mexico camp. He appears to be a much more rounded person, giving a good news conference ahead of Mexico's important summer in his first words to the Mexican media in years. And, while Mexico fans might not be happy, it is worth pointing out that Vela left home as a teenager to sign for Arsenal. That might not have worked out as planned, but only a handful of Mexican players have done more than Vela in Europe."
- From Pulisic to Payne, a Preview of Yanks in Europe
- "While Zardes overperformed based on his expected goals numbers in 2015 and 2016, it is clear that his 2014 season was an outlier. On average, based on the quality of his chances, Zardes would have been expected to score 9.42 goals that year. He ended up with 16. His xG per 90 minute numbers have also seen a drop-off since then, not only because of his decreased shot total, but because of the quality of his shots. This season marks a dip to career-low numbers after an uptick last season."
- "He said, 'Coach, I watched Cristiano Ronaldo do it, and I just had to try it.'"