ASN Morning Read: 26 Men Seeking Six Points
The United States men's national team prepares for two crucial World Cup qualifiers with most of its best players available; Four points in two games would be a fine result.
BY Noah Davis Posted
August 28, 2017
August 28, 2017
- Pulisic, Wood, Johnson on 26-Man Qualifying Roster
- Veterans, Defensive Fill-Ins, Will Be Asked to Deliver
- Bruce Arena talks: "When I came in, we were behind the eight ball and we didn’t have a whole lot of room to experiment, especially in World Cup Qualifying. Everyone here is experienced inside the group, they know what needs to be done, what’s expected of them, our style of play, and how we go about doing things. I think since everyone’s been with us now in 2017, it’ll make what is a really difficult week a little bit easier. People from the outside don’t realize how difficult it is to bring in a team and players from literally all over the world and get them recovered from weekend games and get them prepared for a critically important game on Friday. It’s a real challenge, and to have a group that’s together now that has tasted some success in 2017 should allow it to be a smooth transition into this game on Friday."
- ZZZZZZZ: "There’s no surprise, controversy or confusion, and it’s a roster free of eye-openers, head-scratchers or jaw-droppers."
- "But in determining which players are best suited to provide cover, Arena has gone with players he has seen as opposed to those he hasn't, despite their pedigree.That's why when it comes to determining who should back up Bradley, there is room on the roster for the Chicago Fire's Dax McCarty and Seattle's Cristian Roldan, but not Huddersfield Town's Danny Williams. It's why you see Sporting Kansas City's Graham Zusi and Nottingham Forest's Eric Lichaj as the options at right-back and not Eintracht Frankfurt's Timmy Chandler, despite the fact that usual starter DeAndre Yedlin has been left off the squad as he recovers from a hamstring injury."
- Who do you start?
- Obligatory so you're saying there's a chance:
#USMNT clinches WC berth this window with:— Paul Carr (@PCarrESPN) August 27, 2017
- 2 wins
- Mexico win vs PAN
- T&T draw vs HON
- T&T win at PAN
- SPI: 1% chance all 5 happen